Wednesday 19 March 2008

The Hare...

In Celtic tradition, the Hare is sacred to the Goddess and is the totem animal of many lunar Goddesses, such as Hecate, Freja and Holda - the hare is a symbol of the moon. The Goddess most closely associated with the Hare is Eostre, or Ostara. The date of the Christian Easter is determined by the phase of the moon. The nocturnal hare, so closely associated with the moon which dies every morning and is resurrected every evening, also represents the rebirth of nature in spring. Both the moon and the hare were believed to die daily in order to be reborn - therefore the hare is a symbol of immortality. It is also a major symbol for fertility and abundance as the hare can conceive while pregnant. Over the centuries the symbol of the hare at Ostara has become the Easter Bunny who brings eggs to children on Easter morning, the Christian day of rebirth and resurrection. Hare hunting was taboo but because the date of Easter is determined by the moon together with the Hare's strong lunar associations, hare-hunting was a common Easter activity in England (and also at Beltane).

4 comments:

Kim said...

He's a cute little fella! I love spring when all the birds and bunnies appear. My hare has been absent for a while, but that's nothing new. He's pretty elusive!

I love Ostara, but Beltane has to be my favorite, with the Green man festival at the Bustser Ancient Farm. I can hardly wait :)

mrsnesbitt said...

I keep saying I want to paint a hare! Must!

Celia Hart said...

I love watching the hares in the fields around our village. They're so special.

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Celia

Anonymous said...

Interesting, thanks, I'm still quite new to all witchy things :-)