Sunday 7 June 2009

The Great Strawberry Project

Hello folks, Guess who went strawberry picking on Friday. (Have you guessed yet?) I had a great time but my friend Sharon and I, got a little carried away, OK a lot carried away. I picked two of these trugs of strawberries, and she picked three. I weighed them when I got home and I had about 5kg to process. GULP!!!


I've spent virtually the whole weekend in the kitchen and have very sore thumbs from hulling all the strawberries, here's what I've made.





Three jars of strawberry curd.



A big preserving jar of strawberry liquor.



21 jars of jam. Only 20 here as one has already been opened and is being scoffed.


And six strawberry fools.


Needless to say, I never want to see another strawberry for a very long time!
I'm off over to Sharons later to bottle up the elderflower champagne we made on Monday, I hope its good. But before then I'm having a bash at making my own pizza sauce with oven roasted tomatoes. I've already made my pizza base this morning, I've left the dough to rise and it smells yummy. Also need to make a sponge cake for hubby's lunch box this week. UMMM what shall I fill it with...............?????? Off to plan this weeks meals now, I started this last week to save money and waste and its working so far, and we're eating better too.

Also a big thanks to Nita for this scrummy wedding cake. Hubby and I enjoyed it in the week with a cuppa.
TTFN
Pixie xxx


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok - I want to know where you get your enery from! :-)

bex said...

planning meals and stuff is something which im thinking of doing...does it feel a bit to much like a strict routine to you? i ask because thats whats worrying me...that we couldn't have any improptu treats or anything
x

thesnailgarden said...

Yummy, you can never have enough strawberries! I hadn't thought of strawberry curd before - what a lovely idea. Best wishes, Pj x

Thecraftytrundler said...

You have been busy, it all sounds delicious!! I'm sure the Elderflower Champagne will go down well at the Midsummer Festival!!
I have some raspberries growing at the moment, and will make a raspberry & apple pie. Scrumptious!!

Have a great week :)

Sharon xx

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Hello
Your strawberry haul was amazing and all those yummy eats look fab. I love making jam but have never made strawberry jam, do you have a good recipe? You have inspired me to go fruit picking this weekend, look forward to reading more of your blog xxx